Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Little Things

    What is it about wanting things you do not have?  We're all guilty of it.  As a society, we're pretty materialistic.  With Mother's Day and all, I've noticed more commercials advertising flowers, candy, jewelry- but those things are actually meaningless.  They're nice to have, to show other people that your family cared about you so much that they spent lots of money to show their appreciation, but should other people's opinions really matter?  As long as you know you're loved, shouldn't that be enough?  I've been thinking about this a lot today.

    We brought Connor's pony Sweetheart and her Colt (since she's still unnamed, I'll call her what Connor does) 'Baby Horsey' home today.  He was so happy to have them here again.  He played with both of them out in the yard for a long time.  He even laid down in the grass with Baby Horsey.  Watching him frolic and being genuinely happy, with zero money spent, touched me in a way that costly fripperies could not.  I got my camera to take pictures, and as luck would have it, my SD card has somehow malfunctioned.  They would have been wonderful pictures, too.  *Insert sad face here*

   I did enjoy a nice little dinner at home with my family, and Connor and Tempe got me a personalized Thirty-One handbag for Mother's Day, but spending the evening outside with Tempe and watching Connor rolly-polly Baby Horsey was the best gift ever.

   So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't spend money we don't have on things we don't need.  Try to be happy with what you have and find solace in having the things you need.  Stop and really enjoy your moments with your loved ones instead of brushing them off for work and the endless pursuit of money.  Maybe call in sick and just spend the day teaching your kids how to fish.  If I could actually cast a reel, I'd totally take Connor Grimlin fishing. I'd bet we'd catch two license plates and a shoe for sure! 

:. My Little Loves .:
                      


No comments:

Post a Comment