Friday, June 22, 2012

Chimp Watch


    Before December 13, 2011 I’d never put a whole lot of thought into sibling dynamics.  I knew that having two Rugrats would be significantly more complicated than having one Rugrat, and I also knew that I didn’t have any experience dealing with brothers and sisters aside from my own.  I’m fairly certain that the experience is different now that I’m a stranger to their brother-sister relationship.  Okay, less of a stranger and more of a referee. 

     Now that Tempe is big enough to move around and is actually aware of her world outside of her titty-bottles, she wants to play with Connor-especially his toys.  It doesn’t matter that she has her own things to play with, or that he has his own big-boy toys to play with, each others toys are just way more funtastic.  

     The more I stress about their relationship, the more I realize that I can’t really effect it all that much.  Sure, I can force him to spend time with her and bribe him into sharing his toys, but I can’t really make him like her.  I think that he’s more fascinated with her than anything else, and I also can’t discount his blind jealousy of anyone or anything that takes my attention away from him for even a nanosecond.  As I’m writing this, I’m forced to hide the computer behind the couch cushions.  

    I hope that they grow up and rely on each other and support each other in a way that I can’t.  From experience, I know that I’m more apt to be open and honest with my brother about my life, and more likely to take his advice over my parents’.  I don’t know why that is, but I’m aware that the secret society of siblings does exist.

    As a sociologist and an avid anthropologist, I find child-rearing to be the most fascinating social experiment…ever.  Some days I feel like Jane Goodall, hunkering down in the jungle, and watching chimps throw poop at each other.  I know it’s going to get way more interesting, and I can’t wait.  I know they’ll drive me crazy, worry me to death, and infuriate me to no end, but I love them more than anything else in this world- and that’s saying something because I REALLY love my computer, iPod, and coffee. 

    Uh-oh, gotta go.  I think Connor’s catching onto the whole computer in the hidey-hole gig!
:.While Bubby's all distracted, I'm playing with his yummy car!.:

No comments:

Post a Comment