Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Letting Go

From day one, we're handed this tiny squirming infant and told to hold them tight and never let them go.  Then, they get bigger...and bigger.  Today has given me my first (very bitter) taste of letting go.

Connor's fist official day of Kindergarten is today.  I dropped him off at school with a brave face.  I watched as the teacher took over my place and I walked out of the classroom without tripping over my screaming, begging child.  He waved, stayed in his seat, and reminded me to come and get him later.

In a way, I was glad I avoided the 'clingy' child routine- it was the less traumatic route for both of us- but couldn't he have looked just a little forlorn?  *Sigh*  I remember I cried a lot my first day of Kindergarten.  I didn't like being left with a bunch of strangers.  But, that's how I met my first friend.  She walked up to me and told me not to cry anymore.  Great, now I'm worried about Connor not having any friends...

Needless to say, I made it about 50 feet from the school before the waterworks started.  I cried and cried...and I'm kind of misty right now.  This is going to be an adjustment for both of us.

:.My Brave Connor.:

No comments:

Post a Comment