Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Writing Tip #3: Stick-to-itivness

I know I'm still new to the whole writing for a publisher gig.  But I try to share some helpful hints that any author can use- even if you're writing for your own enjoyment or for you college professor (which you're probably not enjoying so much).

Stick-to-itivness is the most important part (I know, I know, I keep saying they're all the most important) of writing.  You're not going to be happy or accomplish much of anything if you can't finish the damn story.  You heard me- finish your stories!  I have problems with this tip at time, too.

I am a multitasker and a putting-things-on-the-back-burner-er, but eventually I get back in the groove with those characters and finish it up.  I'm not saying that I lose interest in the plots or my characters are dull, but sometimes I need time to rethink-or in most cases come up with- my actual plot line.  My stories morph from scribbled notes to chapters and things gets skewed in translation.  Then I have all these options...and I'm not so good with the lots of options part.  You see what I mean.

By the time I think I have a good thing plotted out, my brain comes up with a new thing that I just have to get started on RIGHT AWAY.  And the process begins again.  I'm taking my own advice here and really putting more time and energy into one project at a time.  Or, I set a goal for myself and once I've reached it with one story, I will allow myself to spend some time with something else for a bit.  It's working pretty well so far.  But I still have parts of projects I've left unedited or unfinished over the last several years.  I'll get back to them...probably. 

As you can see, I'm awesome when it comes to giving advice.  But I'm terrible when it comes to taking it.  So, do as I say and not as I do!

:.See All the Neat Stuff We're Missing Out On?.:


No comments:

Post a Comment